Who doesn’t love a nice, smooth glass of wine and the soft, delicious taste of cheese? Everyone knows that these two items go together like peas and carrots but not everyone knows which cheeses compliment which wines. That’s where we come in. We’ve created a guide so you can amaze your friends with your pairing knowledge at your next party.
Some rules to consider:
- If you are new to paring, it’s generally a good idea to match wines and cheeses from the same region. However, there are exceptions to this rule and it doesn’t always guarantee a perfect pairing, but it’s a good guideline to keep in mind.
- Harder cheeses tend to pair better with red wines and soft, creamy cheeses do very well with white and sparkling wines.
- One type of cheese can pair well with several different wines. Don’t be afraid to experiment when pairing.
- It is also generally believed that the whiter, and fresher the cheese, the crisper and fruitier the wine should be.
- Keep bold with bold. Bolder, stronger wines tend to pair best with strong cheeses. For example, the bold taste of blue cheese pairs very well with the strong, rich tannins of red wines and overpowers the more subtle, smooth tastes of white wines.
- White wines tend to be easier to match with a wider array of cheeses than red wines due to the fact that white wines are devoid of tannins.
With that being said, here is a suggested pairing guide to make your life (and your next party) a little bit easier:
Sauvignon Blanc: Asiago, Goat, Gouda, Gruyere
Pinot Noir: Feta, Gouda, Port Salut, Swiss
Pinot Gris: Edam, Goat, Gouda, Muenster
Cabernet Sauvignon: Blue, Camembert
Gruner Veltliner: Blue, Goat, Muenster
Zinfandel: Blue, Cheddar, Feta
Riesling: Blue, Brie, Colby, Gouda
Merlot: Brie, Camembert, Cheddar, Gorgonzola
Champagne: Beaufort, Brie, Colby, Edam
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- June 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- May 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015