Global Gourmet Catering is proud to be the first Bay Area Green Business certified full-service catering company in Northern California. We embrace our environmental responsibility and commitment to our local community as well as that of the planet we all share.
In addition to offering seasonal, sustainably farmed organic cuisine sourced primarily from the Bay Area, truly green caterers commit to incorporating environmentally friendly practices in their event production as well as their day-to-day operations. Here are some of the eco-solutions Global Gourmet currently practices:
- We source local, seasonal, organic ingredients featuring sustainably farmed produce, meats, seafood and wines.
- We recycle and compost in our kitchen, office and at every event in which we are involved.
- We launched our three-part Drought Watch program this year which involves: 1) creating drought-friendly menus to mitigate our environmental impact; 2) contributing a percentage from every event we cater to help fund carbon offset and water restoration projects through our partnership with TerraPass, and; 3) further educating our team and clients regarding water issues and consumption and identifying which food ingredients are considered best choices to use, and which to avoid during this time of drought. You can view and download our Drought Watch Food Guide for a list of foods and ingredients that are the best choices (require very little water), and those to use sparingly (good options), and to avoid as much as possible with regard to water conscious menu planning. Over the course of the coming year, Global Gourmet’s goal is to help restore a minimum of 28,750,000 gallons of water (the equivalent of 44 Olympic sized pools) as well as offset at least 1,610,000 lbs of C02 emissions (the equivalent of 26,640 five gallon propane tanks).
- We dialogue with our purveyors and environmental experts, such as The Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch, regarding the most current options for sustainable, organic ingredients and products.
- Global Gourmet has taken the “Farm Free Salmon Pledge”: we are committed to using only wild caught, sustainably produced fresh Salmon.
- We offer our clients the ability to socially “off-set” their catering event with cost effective matching meals for those in need through our relationship with Glide Memorial Church, which provides over 750,000 nourishing meals per year for San Francisco Bay Area residents in need.
- We serve San Francisco’s excellent tasting, pure quality tap water from the Hetch Hetchy reservoir whenever possible to reduce plastic packaging of bottled water.
- We prefer reusable service wares and offer 100% compostable products when applicable.
- We use eco-friendly cleaning agents for dishwashing and facility sanitation.
- Global Gourmet donates left-over food to San Francisco Bay Area food bank organizations, such as Foodrunners.
- We are committed to waste management and landfill deferment and offer "Zero-waste" event services as well as carbon-offset programs.
- We participate in San Francisco’s SFGreasecycle Program, which re-purposes used vegetable oil, creating BioFuel used to fuel San Francisco’s alternative-fueled vehicles such as public busses and utility trucks.
- We fuel our licensed event catering trucks with BioDiesel20, which reduces emissions by 14 percent.
- Our staff is committed and trained to further reduce the impact of our footprint on our planet.
- Global Gourmet partners with other local eco-friendly Bay Area businesses and vendors such as florists, venues, event designers, photographers, lighting and transportation companies who also follow "green" catering practices.
- Global Gourmet Catering became certified in the Bay Area Green Business Program in 2009, and recertified in 2013.
We are proud to be a green caterer and to call organizations such as Cleantech, EarthJustice, the Bay Area Air Quality District, and Natural Resources Defense Council, as well as corporations that are leading the way to develop green technology, such as Google, Apple, and Cisco Systems, amongst our clientele.
Allow Global Gourmet Catering to assist you in making your events as green and eco-friendly as possible!